To obtain a Systems/Network Administration position, in a mixed operating system environment.
Summary of Qualifications
- 9 Years of System Administration in a mixed computing environment: Unix & 2000
- 12+ years of work experience in Silicon Valley in a variety of different positions.
- Excellent working knowledge of the following Microsoft Windows operating systems: Windows 95, 98, NT, 2000 and XP.
- Hands on work experience with the following Linux distributions: Red Hat, Mandrake and SuSE.
- Ability to compile Linux sources and kernel.
- Working knowledge of Solaris 6 and 7.
- Hands on experience with the following Linux/Unix desktops: KDE and Gnome.
- Practical knowledge of Microsoft Windows technologies such as: Active Directory, Domain Controllers, Global Catalog and Bridge-head Servers.
- Understanding knowledge of networking protocols and applications: WINS, TCP/IP, 802.11b wireless, DHCP, DNS, SAMBA, NIS and NFS.
- Familiar with Cisco 2500 routers, Intel & Dell layer 3, Packeteers, Sonicwall and Netscreen firewalls and Juniper Network's SA-1000 VPN.
- Experience with HTML and various UNIX shells.
- Familiar with the following internet applications: Apache and PHP.
- Familiar with the following open source CMS: Mambo, Drupal, Xoops!
- Working knowledge of network monitoring tools: Nagios & MRTG
- Hands on experience with the following Windows tools: Veritas Backup Exec, Norton Anti-virus Enterprise Edition, Cygwin, Lanware's NMS Console, Terminal Services, Remote Desktop and Visio.
- Familiar with PC (IBM e335 servers, Dell 1850s, 2650s, 2850s) and Sun (Ultra 5, Utlra 10, Ultra 80 & Ultra 450 Sunfire210) hardware as well as Network Appliance and EMC filers.
- Familiar with Inter-Tel PBX systems.
- Understanding knowledge of T-1's voice T-1's, Frame-Relay and DSL connections.
- Excellent communication skills, working with all levels of upper management including VP's and CEO
- Experience in working in start-up environments.
Penwin Solutions, Sunnyvale, CA President & CEO
- Formed a consulting business in 04 which specialized in Windows and Linux environments.
- Contracted with Salira Optical Networks to maintain their network, server and desktop infrastructure. Also installed an Exchange 2003 server and migrated users mailbox from Exchange 2000 to the new 2003 server./li>
- Worked with a variety of home users and small business.
- Was a member of the Mountain View Chamber of Commerce.
Silicon Optix, San Jose, CA, Network Administrator
- One of 5 Network Administrators which spanned across multiple sites, San Jose, Orlando, Toronto and Hannover.
- Main support for headquarters in San Jose supporting 25 end-users which were mostly Execs including the CEO.
- Supported remote users, sales and executives along with individuals in our Shanghai and Taiwan offices.
- Responsible for purchasing all new hardware and software for site. Worked with a variety of vendors to get the best deal.
- Planned and implemented a Exchange 2003 upgrade which consisted of upgrading Active Directory and removing Active Directory Connectors prior to the upgrade due to previous Exchange 5.5 servers. Was the first of 3 sites to perform the upgrade.
- Installed and configured a server to run ClearCase.
- Installed and configured a second Domain Controller for site.
- Cleaned up and organized server room by purchasing a server cabinet and installing all servers in it.
- Installed a EMC2 SAN solution to replace a Dell PowerVault NAS box.
- Was responsible for facilities, by making sure a card access system was installed.
- Researched, priced, and implemented a web based Enterprise helpdesk and asset manager application, so that end users could submit trouble tickets and keep track of progress.
- Deployed Nagios and MRTG to monitor network and server outages.
- Installed WSUS server which provided automatic Microsoft updates to desktop and laptops.
- Revamped backup strategy by moving from 3 separate backup servers to one and installing clients on all other servers.
LinkIT, Portland, OR, Contractor
- Hired on as a contractor to install and configure 8 Solaris servers for training department for a client of LinkIT, Credence, in Milpitas.
- Helped in the transitioning and cleanup of LDAP services
- Participated, as a team member, in implementing new networking hardware throughout the Corporate Enterprise.
Salira Optical Networks, Santa Clara, CA, IT Manager
- IT Manager for a world-wide company residing in Santa Clara, CA. and Shanghai, China, which consisted of a Windows 2000 infrastructure, 80 users, 2 sites (Santa Clara & Shanghai), 150 desktops running Windows NT 4.0, 2000, XP and 8 Windows 2000 servers.
- Primary duties included: phone system administration, network administration, server administration and desktop administration, building security administration, 24 Hour on call support and facilities management.
- Designed and implemented a Windows 2000 Active Directory infrastructure which connected two sites(Santa Clara, CA and Shanghai, China)
- Traveled to Shanghai where I installed a Windows 2000 infrastructure, which consisted of a Domain Controller, Exchange and ClearCase servers, Intel routers and switches as well as a Sonicwall firewall, which connected the two sites together via a secure VPN tunnel.
- Managed and guided system administrator in Shanghai office.
- Installed and managed dual Exchange 2000 servers (Santa Clara and Shanghai).
- Implemented Microsoft's RAS server so that remote users could connect to the corporate network.
- Designed and configured multiple LANS using layer 3 switches which allowed for VLANs.
- Recovered from a devastating network disaster by replacing the core layer3 switch, which went bad, with a Linux box and 2 quad Ethernet cards.
- Responsible for purchasing all IT capital equipment and Software and vendor relations.
- Managed the planning and implementation of a company move, twice, (phones, T-1s, network, servers, desktops, labs, etc.) to new facilities, which consisted of managing outside consultants and contractors.
- Planned and managed the upgrade of corporate PBX, which also consisted of the installation of a voice T-1 and DIDS.
- Implemented a centralized corporate anti-virus software solution to protect all desktops and servers from viruses.
- Maintained and rolled out service paks across all desktops and servers.
- Wrote a corporate IT Policy explaining various functions of IT and how it works to protect and serve the company.
- Proactively monitored a variety networking resources and servers, using such tools as Lanware's NMS console, which provides monitoring of Windows 2000 performance counters and application services
- Worked with the Software Test Engineering team to help troubleshoot network problems related to the company's product.
- Designed and built a Software lab and network, using Linux as a router/firewall into the lab.
- Designed and implemented a streaming video demo which ran across the company's product, which was presented to future Venture Capitalist firms.
Copper Mountain Networks, Palo Alto, CA. Systems Administrator
- Senior Systems Administrator for a site that included a user base of Executives, Marketing and Engineers: 150 desktops and 25 servers.
- Installed and configured various NT networking components in a multiple NT domain environment: PDC, BDCs, WINS, and
- Exchange 5.5 servers.
- Implemented various networking services using both Linux and NT: DNS, NIS, DHCP and Samba.
- Managed T-1s and administered the routers, which connected the company to the other corporate sites, Fremont and San
- Diego as well as the internet.
- Installed and maintained inter-departmental websites using Apache and Linux
- Configured Linux boxes as routers and firewalls for test purposes in a lab environment.
- Created Audio/Video streaming servers, both on demand and Multi-cast streams, using both Linux and Microsoft's Windows
- Streaming Media Server, to generate 'real world' traffic, for use with in house test networks.
- Designed and built a 1,400 square foot Engineering lab which consisted of centralized patch panels, telco racks, descending
- cable trays, benches, power and storage areas.
- Installed, configured and administered a network of Sun workstations and servers, Linux, NT and Win2K workstations in the Software Engineering Lab.
- Hosted DNS and NIS for machines in the Software Engineering Lab.
- Created a simulated network of SNMP agents (6000), using multi-homed Linux work-stations (16) and JAVA, for internal testing of Network Management Software.
Ipsilon Networks/Nokia, Sunnyvale, CA. Systems Administrator
97 - 98
- Provided help desk support for a user base of 150 users that included a worldwide sales team.
- Supported a variety of operating systems (10+) in a complex IP network.
- Performed daily Systems Administrator tasks: creating new user accounts, setting up machines, Corporate backups and
- updating DNS and NIS records.
- Administered Firewall, CheckPoint and installed client software, Secure Remote.
N.E.T., Redwood City, CA. Systems Administrator
- Established a network of SGI workstations for the mechanical engineering team.
- Provided SGI training to the internal IT department.
- Provided help desk support, in an Enterprise environment, which consisted of an engineering team (200+ users) with Solaris workstations on the desktop.
- Participated as a team player, in the redesign of the engineering network infrastructure, by planning the new lab layout and consolidation of equipment into a smaller location.
Adaptive, Redwood City, CA, Software Test Engineer
93 - 96
- Developed, automated and implemented test cases, to test complex broadband networking switch software, in a Unix environment
- Managed and improved the software build process, by automating the process with scripts, thus decreasing the build time by 20%.
- Designed, moved, and managed Software Engineering Test Labs and received an award.
Adaptive, Redwood City, CA ManufacturingTest Technician
91 - 93
- Built, tested, debugged and configured Sonet Broadband Switches to support customer shipment schedules
- Documented test procedures.
- Trained manufacturing personnel on all system test procedures.
- Assisted in the layout of both the system test and mechanical assembly areas.
- Completed training required for ISO 9002 certification
Network Equipment Technologies, Redwood City, CA Manufacturing Test Technician
89 - 91
- Effectively tested modules at a system level in a temperature controlled environment meeting all production schedules.
- Assisted Advanced Manufacturing in troubleshooting test scripts.
Electronic Arts, San Mateo, CA, Customer Support
88 - 89
- Assisted in resolving product related problems to meet production schedule.
- Provided technical phone support to customers.
- Participated in beta testing of various software packages.
Unix Systems Administration Certificate - U.C. Santa Cruz Extension
Sun Networking Certificate - Sun Micro Systems
Windows 95 and Windows NT 4.0 Training - Mastering Computers
Solaris, Linux, Windows 2000
Available upon request
Last modified: October 17 2016 @ 8:12 pm
Copyright © 2018, ClearSCM Inc. - All rights reserved